No. 96 December 2020
In our Deanery let us give thanks:
- That we shall be able to hold Christmas services in Church.
- For those with technical skills who continue to provide online services and resources.
In our Churches please pray for:
- Advent Online’, that it may bless all who engage with the resources made available in many ways and find the daily offerings enriching and helpful in deepening our faith.
- The message of hope that is Christmas, will be an encouragement to all.
- All those attending Services whether in Church and those continuing to feel safer watching online or listening to recordings
- The families who are staying away from Church for fear of spreading the virus to older members of the congregation.
- All Christingle, Crib Services and Nativity plays in Church and online throughout the Deanery; that the sense of joy, sparkle and wonder may be felt and special memories made.
- Services of Nine Lessons and Carols
- Midnight Mass and Christmas Day Services
- Continued creativity even though many of us are tired and weary with all we have had to cope with in the last months.
- Fun activities including the Arborfield Christmas Mince Pie Evening on 3 December on Zoom
- The fun and fellowship of the Zoom Coffee and chat sessions
- Hardship funds and Food banks seeking to give assistance to those most in need at this time
- All who have been bereaved this year, especially for those who are anxious about their first Christmas alone. That they may know your comforting presence holding them safe and steady.
In our country please pray for:
- All in government and all scientists seeking for a way through the pandemic.
- Ourselves that as restrictions are eased over Christmas, we will behave responsibly and continue to observe social distancing and all other measures for the protection of all.
- And give thanks for positive news of vaccines to protect us from the virus.
Lord of heaven and earth,
as Jesus taught his disciples to be persistent in prayer,
give us patience and courage never to lose hope,
but always to bring our prayers before you,
though Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
From Daily Prayer SSF
Almighty God, give us grace to cast away the works of darkness, and put on the armour of light, now in the time of this mortal life in which your Son Jesus Christ came to visit us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come again in his glorious majesty to judge both the living and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who lives
and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
The Collect for Advent Sunday
Lord Jesus Christ, your birth at Bethlehem
draws us to kneel in wonder at heaven touching earth:
accept our heartfelt praise
as we worship you,
our Saviour and our eternal God.
The Collect for Christmas Day